description

Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams. - Yeats

UPDATED: Tong Yao Film & TV guide 25th April 2024

Saturday, June 30, 2012

AFA Malaysia - Good Smile's Ultimate Madoka

I'm slowly getting back into blogging more now.  I haven't really gotten the amount of rest that I feel that I really required but I've been sleeping earlier which is good. :)  I've also finally managed to make some good headway on my training shot at work and I think that I have finally figured out how to tackle the problem but my execution is still weak.  I really need to work on my paint skills.  But I feel really encouraged about it and encouraged enough to reward myself with the Ultimate Madoka. :D Hahaha... yeah, it is probably a bit of an excuse. :)

Okay, here is a bit about the AFA Malaysia trip.  I really would like to write more about the festival itself as well as the anisong concerts but that will take time and I'm running really short of it.  I need to work on my Japanese homework today and I really would like to watch some tutorials and read up a little about python scripting.  It's unlikely that I'll get everything that I would like done today but I really would like to try and in order to do that, I'm going to have to try and make this short.

I think by now, most Good Smile fans and Mahou Shoujo Madoka fans would have seen the Ultimate Madoka figure.  If you have not, here is a link to the official product page with all the specs on the figure and some really nice pix.

I would like to talk a little bit about the AFA MY festival itself in another post so will only talk about the Good Smile booth in this post.  I personally felt that the booth that was the best out of the lot was Good Smile's booth.  That was mostly because they brought down some of their yet-to-be-released figures and several more popular figures for display.  The queen of these figures, for me, was the yet-to-be released Ultimate Madoka.  I should have shot a wide shot of the booth.  I thought about it, got distracted and never did so close-ups of the figures are all that I really have right now. :)

They also had on display the various Sabers from Fate/Zero.  There was the recently released 1/8th scale figure of Saber on the Saber Motored Cuirassier and the announced but yet to be released Figma Saber Motored Cuirassier.  They also had all the 1/8th scale Mahou Shoujo Madoka figures, as well as the Figma Mahou Shoujo Madoka figures on display and several figures for sale, including some of the Cheerful Japan figures.



It was very cool looking at all the displays of these figures.  The figure that caught most people's attention though was Ultimate Madoka.  While I think most people would have watch the Mahou Shoujo Madoka anime by now, I still would rather not spoilt it for anyone.  So all I will say is that Ultimate Madoka does show up in the anime and this figure does this character justice.  It's an amazing figure to behold and no photo can do her justice.  Still, we all tried to take photos of it but the lighting of those display cases was not very conducive for photo taking.



I had already seen photos of the figure on the internet and really liked it then but what really made me fall in love with it was actually seeing it on display.  Our cameras weren't good enough to shoot really nice photos of this 1/8th scale figure. We also couldn't get close to the figure because of the casing and the light made it very hard to shoot.  Best place to take a closer look at this beauty is the Good Smile Blog, click me.

For a 1/8th scale figure, it really manages to take up a fare amount of space and really does give one a sense of volume probably because its circumference is relatively large.  For a figure this big, the sculptor was still able to make Madoka looks so elegant and graceful.  As Madoka is only a schoolgirl in the anime and not even a very big or tall girl, it would have been a mistake to make her look anything but slim and a little frail.  This figure not only captured Madoka's physical attributes but also a little bit of her emotional make-up.  Her eyes are large and retain a certain amount of innocence but the very slight inward turn of her eyebrows, the thin pursed lips and the determined jaw helps to make her appear powerful without being overbearing.

I really, really, really like this figure and I will most likely order it.  I need to confirm with one of my friends whether or not her friend will be willing to receive this figure for me and bring it back to Singapore.  If I can save on the shipping it would be best but if I can't, I think I will still order it.

I'll be ordering mine form CDJapan as usual. :) Here is the link. to the product page for those who might like to purchase this figure too. There are sevearal other sites that will offer this figure so if you are interested, you can pick it up from those guys too.

I'll be going to Japan really soon and when I return, I will return with some more of the Mahou Shoujo Madoka Key Animation artbooks.  I'll definitely do "unboxing" posts of those. :)

K... for now, time to go.  Homework calls. :)

No comments: